A wander North of the Yarra
The starting point was only just North of the Yarra! Frances had a dental appointment in the Manchester Union Building at the intersection of Collins and Swanston Streets so I decided to fill in the time by visiting Hosier and AC/DC Lanes at little to the East. On arriving at the lower (Flinders St) end of Hosier Lane I found evidence of men at work. Rather than adding to the art they appeared to be resolving a plumbing situation.
I don't recall having seen these works on past visits.
The text on the 'notice' - which I didn't read on site - is a QR code link to the Magpie Mammogram Movement: presumably someone called Shelley has been having tests.
Usually taggers avoid defacing more intellectual work and I suppose this dweet has avoided the figures; but could still use a bit of education.
As always the Lane was well replete with punters, including at least one walking tour.
Crossing Russell St,my first glance at this building made me wonder if the facade had been improved by some figures. But it was merely 3 abseilers dealing with dirty windows.
I don't think these hoardings have improved AC/DC Lane. I am surprised the Council approved the DA to install them. I suspect their artistic qualities will be improved in the not too distant future.
Of the various portraits of band members I like this one of Angus best (although Reg Mombassa's tribute to Bon Scott is also excellent).
No idea who these folk are or who the artist was. Google Lens only offered generic information.
Moving on. I headed back towards the dentists crossing Swanston St on Flinders Lane and checking out the feeding frenzy in Centre Place, heading up towards Collins St.
Getting in to the Manchester Union Building I thought this sign matched the ambience rather well.
I am a little dubious about the dentists branding but the people working there seem be be both skillful and charming, so I can overlook the marketing shtick. And they have tried to express the name in a sympathetic (to the architecture) way.
On the subject of branding the founders of Unity seem to have publicity as a driver.
The doors to a lift.
Looking at the woodwork inside a lift.
Or you can use the escalator to the first floor.
The ceilings are well decorated. One of the staff asked if I needed help but quite understood when I explained I was just taking snaps on my way to meeting my wife.
This ceiling light was in the 10th floor reception area. I suspect you need an electrician's ticket and a degree in art history to change a globe!
Having met Frances we toddled through drizzle to take a 19 tram up Elizabeth St towards Brunswick. We both got seats which was good as the carriage became packed, then crowded, then ridiculous. I asked another passenger whether this tram was always crowded and he replied "usually only at peak hour". Perhaps the rain caused pedestrians to go for plan B?
Our initial destination was the Brunswick Second Hand Bookshop on Sydney Road (near Barkly Square). They have a good selection of books in a trolley on the pavement and then one ascends this staircase to the shop.
A very interesting place with several rooms full of bookcases. I contemplated a biography of Hunter S Thompson but decided I didn't know the contributors (100 or more friends of the Gonzo) to really appreciate it. Frances got an art book.
While catching the tram at 505 I noticed that the 6 route went to Moreland Rd in Brunswick which would avoid switching trams in the CBD. So we set off up Sydney Rd. A nice wall, advertising a Real Estate business.
A church getting repurposed or at least refurbished with more art in the background.
The tram option was going well until we got to RMIT were it ground to a halt as a result of the lawn in front of the State Library having been transformed into Muppet Central by a protest about Pauline Hanson. I was (not quite) pissed off enough by this thoughtless blockage to vote for One Nation but blocking the central tram route seems likely to alienate more humans than to persuade <One Notion voters not to support Her Orangeness. The number of attendees up in the trees suggests that Darwin got it right, but some entities haven't yet got to the ground.
I suspect this only cost us 20 minutes or so, but the attitude of the Pelicans who set this up (and that of the Plods who authorised it) pisses me off more than somewhat.



























Comments
Post a Comment