A stroll in Albert Park
I wanted to see what the situation was for the Royal Spoonbills (and to get off my tushie and get a little exercise) so walked from home along the Eastern and Northern sides of the Lake to MSAC.
There were few birds in the Southern Lake, possibly reflecting the number of rowing boats around. The first brood of cygnets appeared off Gunn Island where they had ventured far from shore.
The Australian White Ibis colony is going great guns: my estimate (aka guess at order of magnitude) for the whole Lake was about 250 birds.Another brood was close to shore, but I doubt the cygnets could get out here.
This particularly fresh and cute, team (led by K30) were in the Northern reed beds. Overall I think I saw 6 broods.
When I got round to the Lakeside Stadium it was easy to see 2 Spoonbills on part of Mud Island. They were visible from near MSAC when heading for the tram. I couldn't see any trace of the second pair recently seen engaged in breeding activity from either location.
In total I recorded 21 species against the new Hotspot for Albert Park - Coot Picnic Area.





Comments
Post a Comment