Church of Sts Constantine and Helen

 I am reasonably sure I have commented in the past about my efforts to visit this church, located just to the North of the Prahran Market.  The difficulty was coinciding with the time of the church being open but without a service in progress.  Today the ducks lined up and the congregation were leaving when I arrived at about 1055hrs.  Here is the exterior of the building:

I shall not add much text to the images as I don't know the names (or functions) for most of the items in the furnishings.  This is a view of the interior just inside the door.
Google Lens delivers: this is a wooden icon stand (proskynetarion) with icons placed upon and behind it.

I called this the altar but Google Lens advised it is an elaborate dark-carved wooden iconostasis (screen of icons separating the sanctuary from the nave) featuring traditional Byzantine painted icons.  It also noted the Traditional wooden pews/stalls, a center red carpet aisle, and an ornate overhead chandelier.   (Proving that AI is imperfect it suggested it was probably from a Church of this faith in Bendigo!)
The chandelier!
I would note that when I fronted at the door a small child was handing out these pastries and pressed on on me.  VERY tasty.  Such hospitality was typical of the folk - very happy to see someone come to appreciate their church. 
As an aside, after visiting the Church I went to Q Le Baker in the Market, my preferred source of baked goods in the area,  You can judge from the queue, which is pretty constant through the trading period on the weekend, many others have the same view.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentone and nearby

A couple of additional places

Albert Park Lake South