Football (US) at the G

On 11 September the first ever National Football League (NFL) game in Australia was played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (the G).  They were showing the game on a big screen at Federation Square  so I took myself along to suss out the atmosphere.  There had been talk of a drum line (which I thought was something for killing sharks) along Birragung Marr, but all I could see was this mini jazz band.

There was a good crowd going along to the G - about the same as might be going to a popular AFL match, but with different sweaters.
At 0930 hrs there were very few people at the Square: by contrast, for the Socceroos games in the World Cup the Square was full - I think 7,000 - at 0500 hrs, an hour before kick off.

Here is a view of the (full) G taken from a telecast  - see below.
As there was not much happening I went to the Library to pick some reserved books, and swung up to Lonsdale St for a few needed groceries.  As I got back to Flinders St  a flypast went over (this photo is one I took the previous day in Albert Park).
The game was now underway, still with only a few - perhaps 1,000 - punters. present,
The broadcast was that of ESPN and aimed at the US audience.  Two big issues with this:
  1. the ads in the many long ad breaks were for products no sold in Australia such as Coors beer and some frankfurters; and
  2. we got inane comments from the badly briefed commentators including about Rugby being the usual sport here.
I am unsure what the cheerleaders were doing here, other than looking pretty, but there were a lot of media dweets around taking photos and interviewing people.
I believe that when people do well, I should give them a mention, as that gives me scope to also award commentary in the opposite situation.  Such as now. I first sat on some concrete seats on the edge of the Square,  Then a little security lady was sent along to chase people away.  No idea why but the owners of the Chocolate Buddha need to take a good look at themselves and their business model.
A couple of cops were being interviewed by another media crew.  I assume the crew gave the cops footballs which the plods wandered of with.
Not a job I'd like.
I decided to abandon the square after the first quarter and went back to 505.  At that stage an apartment across the road was still flaunting an allegiance to the Rams.
Then I discovered that Channel 7 were broadcasting the game.  Presumably they were outbid by ESPN for the gig in Fed Square, but the Channel 7 commentary was far better.
Here is an aerial view of the G immediately after the game.  Looks very like a stirred up ant mound.
At this point I dot an email saying I has a book to pick up at the Library (they were still sorting through the deliveries when I first called in).   So I decided to go back in (I had paid my 2 tram fares for the day) and get the book, also seeing what was occurring.  The termites had spread to the Square!
And were pouring across Flinders St on their way to Central.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentone and nearby

A couple of additional places

Albert Park Lake South